Life, Cleansing and Healing in the Blood of Christ

"In a time when blood transfusion was unknown, Jesus chose the perplexing figure of drinking His blood. Ever since, Christians have wrestled with the theology of the Eucharist. Who can describe the process by which Christ's body and blood become part of my own? We are brought near to Him; we participate in Him; He feeds us - any of these phrases only hint at the mystery. Jesus used the analogy of branches attached to a vine. The more contemporary metaphor of blood transfusion opens the way for me to grasp the intended meaning.

The communion service reminds me that Christ is not dead and removed from me, but alive and present in me. Every cell in His Body (the Church) is linked, unified, and bathed by the nutrients of a common source - blood feeds life.

The infusion of fresh blood also helps explain the process of cleansing. I focus on the toxins accumulating in scattered cells of my body and the happy relief that comes when blood washes away those poisons. And finally, I imagine the furious intercellular warfare within my body and the climactic effect of a serum injection on that struggle. Jesus, the One who went before, earned 'wise blood' which He freely shares"

from In His Image, by Dr.P.Brand & P.Yancey
Jn.6:54 "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life"
Jn.6:56 "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood lives in me and I in him"
1 Jn.1:7 "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son, cleanses us from all sin"
Mt.26:28 "This is the blood of the covenant...for the forgiveness of sins"
Heb.2:14 "...so that by His death He might destroy him who holds the power of death - that is the devil"
Heb.2:18 "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is a Oneway Ticket

Pentecost - from “Why?” to “Why not?”

MORE