Precious Memories

These last couple of weeks have reinforced for me, the importance of having a store of precious memories. Not just remembering the past, but doing special things with family that will be our future special memories.

As children, our special remembrance days tend to be self-centred - others remember us at birthdays and Christmas. In our youth, our focus is all on the future, and things of the past are rejected. In the parenting years we are confronted with the miracle of a new generation growing up and memories become important. As we walk in valleys of the shadow of death all our accumulated memories take on a poignancy.

The bible calls us to remembrance as an act of worship. Memories of sins forgiven we are instructed to forget. Mostly we are called to remembrance as a discipline, to learn from the past, to call us to repentance, as a comfort or revival in the low times. Other references are to special affections and fellowship.

----xxxXxxx----
Lk.22:19 "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me"
Ex.12:14 "This day (Passover) shall be a memorial...for all generations"
Ps.63:5,6 "My soul will be satisfied...praise you joyfully, when I remember you...and meditate on you"
Jona.2:7 "When my soul fainted I remembered you and my prayer came to you"
1 Cor.15:2 "Keep in memory what I preach"
2 Ptr.3:1 "Stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance"
Eccl.12:1 "Remember your creator in the days of your youth"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is a Oneway Ticket

Pentecost - from “Why?” to “Why not?”

MORE