The Right to Forgiveness

Many years ago when going for my driving licence (Victoria, Australia), the testing police officer quizzed me on the law concerning two cars at an intersection. I responded that “the car on the right has the right of way”. The officer re-asked the question, to which I quizzically gave the same answer. The officer patiently asked me the same question again, to which I still gave the same answer. He then pointed out that the correct answer was that “any driver approaching the intersection, has the responsibility to ‘give way’ to the car on his/her right”. (Australian's drive on the left-hand side of the road)

It's a lesson I have never forgotten - “rights” are not inalienable for the taking. A “right” is really a “responsibility” on another to give.

In the Bible, God does not promise “freedom of speech”, “freedom of assembly”, “pursuit of happiness”, etc. Rather, we are warned that the Christian’s lot could include persecution and imprisonment. The only “inalienable rights” God offers, are “love” and “forgiveness”, and He has taken the ‘responsibility’ for giving both to who-ever asks.

P.S. I still passed my driver's licence test.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is a Oneway Ticket

Pentecost - from “Why?” to “Why not?”

MORE