The Still Small Voice

When I can, I try to get out of the office to eat my lunch on the banks of the Yarra River, or take an extra half minute to walk along the river bank from the station instead of joining the rush in Flinders St. But even here, it is impossible to escape the noise of the city.

One lunch time I just happened to catch the sound of a small bird. With effort I was able to hear over the sounds of trains, trams, cars, pile-drivers, trucks and building workers. With concentration I listened to the soft lapping water, the rustle of leaves, the scurry of some small animal.

God's call is so often a "still small voice" amongst the many other voices and distractions that crowd in on our lives. It takes time apart, concentration and practise to hear His call, to tune-in to God and tune-out the world.

----xxxXxxx----
Ps.46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."
1 Kg.19:12 "...and after the fire a still small voice..."
Ex.14:13 "Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord."
1 Cor.14:10 "There are so many kinds of voices in the world"
Gen.3:8 "They heard the voice of the Lord walking in the garden..."
Ex.15:26 "Diligently listen for the voice of the Lord"
1 Sam.3:10 "The Lord called Samuel as before. He replied, 'Speak Lord your servant heareth'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is a Oneway Ticket

Pentecost - from “Why?” to “Why not?”

MORE